Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Meet Our 2nd Set of Aussies: The Campbells

The Campbells and Gemmells both came to our team through the magic of the rugby network. On the same day I had contacts in both California and Texas message me about 4 rep side players looking for a side to play with at USA 7s and conveniently enough, this was just as 4 players dropped from the team. I was eager to expand our rugby network and have more international culture on the Stars... little did I know the depth of talent we inherited as Cheyenne has been capped for Australia both 7s and 15s and Saxon has played representative side for Queensland!

Here's their story in Cheyenne's words:


I have been playing rugby for most of my life. It started in Tokoroa, NZ and continues today in Brisbane, Australia. I grew up watching Dad play rugby and enjoyed it so much, I started playing and became their ball girl at their games. 
 
My love for 7s comes from the exciting play, powerful running and skills involved in the shortened version of rugby. Although it is a much faster game, I enjoy the pressure and what can be achieved in a short period of time. 
 
I have been fortunate enough to represent Australia in both forms of rugby and soaked up knowledge from different coaches over the years to make me the player I am today. I enjoy learning from others and also passing on knowledge to younger up and coming players too. 
 
My younger sister Saxon has been playing for 3 years and started out by filling in for our women's team one Saturday and has never looked back. Coming from a netball background, it took a while to get used to the contact and mongrel needed for rugby. But since that first Saturday, she has traded the netball skirt for rugby boots full time and continues playing both forms. 
 
 
She has represented Queensland in women's rugby 7s and 15s and is a powerful runner to stop. Being a mobile forward is handy in any team and her footwork is deceiving to opponents. It has been a pleasure to be playing alongside her and seeing her continue to grow as a rugby player. 
 
Our club back home, the Redlands muddies won the 2013 women's premier cup last year and to share that with my sister was an awesome feeling. Our sisterly bond is strong and helps both on and off the field-so playing alongside each other we always have each others backs.
 
 
We are looking forward to playing with the Stars rugby crew in Vegas and meeting all the ladies who will be repping the red and white. Since we are going to war at the tourney, know that we will both have your backs out on the field ladies. Chur...Chey & Sax Campbell (January 2014)


No comments:

Post a Comment